The 7th Youth Symposium on China Frontiers of Engineering & the Selection Meeting of Chinese Participants for the China-America Frontiers of Engineering Symposium
Dec 22, 2021 -Dec 23, 2021
The China-America Frontiers of Engineering Symposium (CAFOE), an important academic activity jointly hosted by the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE) and the US National Academy of Engineering (NAE), aims to provide cross-disciplinary exchanges by outstanding early-career Chinese and American engineers on cutting-edge engineering issues (for the English website of the symposium, please refer to https://www.naefrontiers.org/16104/CAFOE).
The 7th CAFOE will be held from July 18 to 20, 2022 in Chengdu, China to discuss four topics: additive manufacturing and subtractive manufacturing; food safety, Big Data and genomes; water sustainability; and wearable electronic devices and human health. The language of the symposium will be English.
According to the organizing principle of the CAFOE, for each topic the CAE will select two speakers and five participants for the poster session nationwide by hosting the 7th China Youth Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering and the Selection of Chinese Participants to CAFOE on Dec. 22 and 23, 2021. Those selected will participate in discussions with their counterparts from the United States in a three-day symposium.
Due to COVID-19, the selection will be carried out both online and offline, with judges participating offline and the applicants joining online. Each applicant will have 20 minutes, including a recorded 15-minute English academic report (including PowerPoint presentation) and 5 minutes for a question-and-answer session. All early-career experts and scholars in industry, universities and research institutes are welcome to apply for selection.
1. Chinese nationality;
2. Age between 30 and 45 years old;
3. Doctor’s degree (not mandatory for industry applicants, but a master’s degree is a must);
4. Proficient in English, especially oral English;
5. Understand and be familiar with cutting-edge technologies in the field and have a high academic level;
6. Have not participated in previous CAFOE events (excluding the selection).
Deadline for the application
Midnight, November 30, 2021
Participants are selected through personal applications, video reports, expert reviews. Details are as follows:
1. Personal application: sign into the application system of the the 7th China Youth Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering and the Selection of Chinese Participants to CAFOE (http://ysg.ckcest.cn/cafoe), complete the application form, upload a photocopy of your certificate of a doctor’s degree (industry applicants must at least provide proof of a master’s degree), and the applicant statement with a signature;
2. Primary selection: The host will select applicants, and a maximum of 30 applicants for each topic will advance to the next step.
3. Secondary selection: The applicants in this step will be invited to attend the online selection process. You are required to record an academic video in English on relevant topics and upload it into the application system. During the selection, you are required to attend the question-and-answer session online in English. Participants will then be selected after reviews by judges. There are seven participants for each topic including two speakers and five participants for the poster session.
Issuance of certificates
Those selected will be given certificates of participation in the 7th China Youth Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering issued by the CAE after their attendance at the CAFOE in July 2022.
Applicants enrolled in the secondary selection will be included in the CAFOE expert database at the CAE, and could be invited to domestic and international academic events organized by the CAE.
1. Applications for the 7th China Youth Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering and the Selection of Chinese Participants to CAFOE, and the 7th CAFOE are free of charge;
2. The cost for meals and accommodation incurred by the selected participants in Chengdu in July 2022 will be borne by the organizer of the symposium, while transportation fees will be borne by participants.
Schedule for application, selection and participation
Before Nov. 30, 2021
Complete the application form, and upload the degree certificate and signed statement.
Before Dec. 3, 2021
Select the applicants, and notify those eligible in the next step.
Dec. 22-23, 2021
Qualified applicants are invited to the 7th symposium.
July 18-20, 2022
Participation in Chengdu
Participate in the 7th CAFOE
Zhu Yu, Zheng Lichun
Phone: 010-59300264, 010-59300142